Here are five new things I've tried in the last year that I've decided I absolutely love. Doesn't it amaze you that you can turn around and find out there's something new for you to learn? It amazes me for sure.
1. Frozen Grapes. Okay, minor obsession. To the point I can't really have them in the house too much because I will eat the entire bunch. No, I'm not joking. One pound? Easy. Two pounds? Mmmhmm. I hazard a guess that I might even be able to eat three pounds...I can't help it! But there is something so satisfying--icy cold, the snap of the skin, then the give of the crystallized grape inside. It's like eating bite-sized, grape flavored (REAL grape flavor!) popsicles from Mother Nature. Yes, they are that good. Buy a bunch, wash, dry, freeze. Thank me later.
2. Reynolds Super-Strength Heavy Duty Foil. Okay, I am in no way affiliated with the company. I bought the heavy duty foil because it was cheaper than the same size roll of the regular stuff. Who am I to ask why? But I WILL save even a dime if I can--and the difference here was more like a dollar.
I will never go back. Do you have any memory of your mom or dad or grandparents saving foil? Washing it, smoothing it and then using it over and over again? THAT'S THIS STUFF. It lasts and lasts. I LOVE this stuff.
3.Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso powder. There is a chocolate creaminess to the stuff that no other instant powder--and few real coffees--have. I cannot explain it, but I love it. My house is now never without it.
4. Rice cooker. Okay, I have to admit, I fought this--I don't do gadgets. Then I inherited one with my new apartment (it just got left behind)...it's a tiny one, but I LOVE throwing rice and water in and then walking away. Mind you, that is almost what you do with rice stove-top, but this never burns--when it is done, the cooker keeps the rice warm, it frees up a burner and it's non-stick, so I have an easy clean-up. I've been eating a lot of rice lately.
5. Milk Chocolate. There. I've said it. Okay, this is hardly new, but with everyone talking about how much they love love love dark chocolate, I've realized *I* really love milk chocolate. Good milk chocolate. The kind that just seems to melt and linger...Mm. I even have a favorite brand, Guittard, which is hard to find. Once I found it at a Target near me...I bought a lot.
Want to make some great chocolate chip cookies with Guittard? Check out Domestocrat's blondies, who took the loving shot of the bag of real milk chocolate chips...(Domestocrat also loves photography--when you love food, too, you take loving shots of things like bags of chips...Take some time to page through her lovely blog--and Domestocrat, maybe we can recruit you to our Blogathon 2013 in a year's time!!)
6. Bonus! I know I said five new things, but I kind of cheated with the milk chocolate, so I have to tell you about the best cookies I've ever tasted--ha, and they happen to be covered in dark chocolate (oops. so what if I said I love milk chocolate? See #5 above!). Marks and Spencer makes this extra-chocolaty ginger biscuit.
|Best cookie in the world. After writing this post, I had to go and splurge on a pack. They are hidden. And I won't say where.|
A sharp ginger snap with added crystallized ginger absolutely drenched in a cloak of good dark chocolate. At $5 a box, they are too expensive, but when they went on sale near me for $2 a box? Okay, I think I bought eight boxes. Hm. Look! I'm not the only one. She Bakes and She Cooks loves them too...
Let me hear what YOU love--kitchen, non-kitchen, it doesn't make a difference. What's out there that we need to know about?